1) Why you chose to go to Penn State?

Penn State has a large network base of alumni all around the world. There is a high chance you will know Penn state alumnus in your career. This just acknowledges how well known the university is around the world and is why I wanted to be a part of this community.

2) How has participating in sales at Penn State and Sales competitions helped you?

Having the experience to participate in Nationals with PSE in Jacksonville Florida and sales completions was a reality check. Participating in the initial round of Pro-Am Sell-A-Thon, I was able to learn how to effectively communicate and sell while adjusting to different communication styles. After the event, the program sent a video recording of my performance. I was able to receive feedback from the video which I found helpful”.

3) How has this impacted your career and current Success?

Currently I work as a Solution Analyst at Deloitte. Being involved in a sales club at Penn State Harrisburg and the campus itself from the professors to professional resources has helped determine where I fit in the business world. Before graduation I was determining what kind of client base, I would want to work with whether it be through direct clients or more on a consultant side. Penn State Harrisburg was an open door that created a vision of where I wanted to be at. In that process the Business School was great at providing opportunities and interviews for internships to work with companies in the surrounding area.

Marcus Benfer is a solution analyst at Deloitte and a recent graduate of Penn State Harrisburg. In his experience at Penn State Harrisburg, he has been involved in professional opportunities including being a part of the Pi Sigma Epsilon Eta Lambda club. In his time in the marketing and sales club he participated in the Pro-am Sell-A-Thon at PSE’s Nationals in Jacksonville Florida. “Having the experience to participate in Nationals was a reality check.” Marcus competed in the initial round of the competition and found value from the critiques. “After the competition, each individual who competed receives a video of their performance. I found the video on my performance to be extremely helpful.”

Penn State not only was an open door that created a vision for where he wanted to be at in his career, but he was able to receive guidance from his professors and help within the Business School. “Penn State has a large network base of alumni all around the world. Going to a college that is well acknowledged and knowing that you will run into someone from Penn State in your career just shows the greatness of the school.” Going to a branch campus compared to Penn State University Park, he found the experience for him to not only be cheaper but having a smaller ratio of five thousand students compared to forty thousand, he was able to really be involved on campus.

Written by Rebekah Long